Thursday, February 7, 2013

Krishna Cafe

After numerous recommendations, and the will of the universe (ie chance) leading the bus to break down and stop me from going to Jersey Mikes for a tuna fish sandwich, I finally made my way to the Krishna Cafe in the Globe building at FSU.
I made it just as they were beginning to close up. Everything had a very notable flavor from the hot tofu-beans and split pea soup to the strawberry-pineapple cake; it's safe to say I was not disappointed.
My first bite was into the salad-- it tasted reminiscent of Italian dressing but with a sort of lightness you can only get from completely vegan dressing. This well assembled salad portion of the lot was made with romaine lettuce, radishes, and carrots-- simple but classic.
The next portion I dared was the split-pea soup they poured over yellow rice. It had a pleasantly delicate flavor to it-- almost a little too delicate to be paired with the strong flavor of basic yellow rice.
I swiftly moved on and dug my fork into the next part. I'm honestly not sure what it was, which is a shame because it was such a wonderful part of my plate-- it was my favorite part. Next time ill ask the name and request that it be topped with the split pea soup, no rice. Whatever this amazing portion was it had a very airy element to it that was accented with various soft vegetables and a distinct and delicious starchy aspect-- can't quite place it though. It's possible I've never had anything like it until now. (Luckily it went better than my first experience with couscous).
Lastly I got to the beans and-- my goodness!--- they were spicy. It was red beans in a red sauce with notably spicy tofu chunks in it. I was happy to have saved some rice as well as my vegan rye bread piece to help me keep my nose on.
The grand finale of this mound was a happy slice of strawberry-pineapple cake. The cake itself was fluffy with pineapple pieces inside and a delightfully sweet strawberry frosting (probably from Pillsbury but still delish).
That's a salad, rice, three entrees, a bread thingy, and a dessert for-- guess how much? Five bucks. There was another option that gets you extra of something for a dollar more but my goodness was I full! For once I can say five dollars bought me more than my fill at a café.
If you like Indian food or your a bit curious, you should head down to Krishna Café. They're open Monday to Friday from 11(?) -2PM in the Globe-- the building right behind the Career Center. I'm told they have different dishes every day so I'm sure there is something for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd enjoy hearing your thoughts.