Friday, July 11, 2014

We Have Lift Off

Why is there no rum cake?
On Tuesday, July 1st we took port in Nassau, Bahamas. It was nice to spend time with the family but rather disappointing to finally be somewhere other than the United States and not really feel like I'm somewhere else. Yes the buildings were different and the streets were cluttered and dirty (but that just makes me think of New York). I think it's because I'm a Florida girl and anywhere that is warm and beachy is going to feel similar to home-- and anywhere that allows for walking to most places makes me think of NY.
While my mother and new family looked at knock off purses I discovered that I'm not a Michael Kohrs fan. It's too flashy for me. I like my subtle, brown bags (though there was this super cute boho/Moroccan style bag that a lady had on the cruise that I really liked).
Somehow there was some time to stop in some shops and I found a shop with locally made hot sauce and spices (SCORE!). I purchased two different hot sauces for Alex because we never have any for him during taco night. I also got two different spices. One was a blackened seasoning which we used with some fish last night. There was so much flavor and punch, I did not regret getting it. The other spice was a Caribbean blend spice. It smelt good but we haven't had anything to use it with yet. I totally should have bought some rum cake because after that I didn't have another opportunity to buy some and try it. The one thing that is specifically bahamian and I didn't get to try it. Poo.
We had lunch at the Hark Rock Hotel there and I had a decent veggie burger. I was really hungry so it's difficult to accurately judge. I enjoyed the Hark Rock but it's moreso a meat-eating place.
Afterwards we went back to the ship and I took a nap while watching food network. Food network is da-bom. Always relaxing. I woke up to get ready for formal night which was nice. I got to wear my 50's wiggle dress from Bettie Page (now called Tatyana). I also got to see a really cute retro dance/music performance that night in the ship's theater.
Also got to watch a fun couples game show that made me miss Alex even more. There was this old couple who'd been together for fifty something years and were still happy-- they still kissed like teenagers. They were so sweet together and I know that one day Alex and I will say we've been together for fifty something years. Just like this:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd enjoy hearing your thoughts.