Sunday, August 10, 2014

My Favorite

According to Alex, you're just dying to know what my favorite event of this week was. Well, I'm finally sharing it and, hands down, it was the Florida Aquarium. While this place boasts a focus of having a kid water park and aquatic animal petting stations, it really hones in on education with the ecosystem and the animals. Upon entering you are drowned in the scent of small children: baby wipes, vomit, and mothers with not enough perfume to cover it up but just enough to spice up the rather putrid scent. You are then hounded to take a photo so they can charge you $30 for it before you leave.
After pushing through this and the numerous initial strollers in the lobby, you make your way up the escalator and, after reviewing the map, turn to the right into an amazingly simulated Florida ecosystem.

Cute duckies everywhere!

Free-flying birds

Swimming Otter

The atrium ceiling for this lovely aquarium

It was such a beautiful experience. I tried my best to get pictures of everything but, of course, I didn't get a picture of my absolute favorite: the sea horses/dragons. They were so sweet and majestic. Did you know that the majority of them are monogamous and every morning the female will come visit the male and they will do a special dance (sounds like Happy Feet but better!)? I was so enthralled with them we probably spent a good fifteen minutes just in that section. 
Painting by Patrice 
Words cannot fully describe how lovely this visit to the aquarium was. I thoroughly enjoyed it and would definitely go back. Next time I'll get pictures of the beautiful little sea horses and dragons (no flash though, it'll frightening them).



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd enjoy hearing your thoughts.