Monday, May 26, 2014

Sewing for Dummies


At the beginning of this cosplay adventure Alex and I purchased the DIY book Sewing For Dummies. This is the very first dummies book I've ever opened beyond the front page and I must say I am pleased. While our debut costumes are still ways away from being in physical production, this book is making me more and more comfortable. I'm still waiting on my needle clamp in the mail but afterwards I'll be heading to a sewing shop to get someone to adjust the tension to where it needs to be (because I have no idea what to do...).
THEN I will work on mini projects like making a fabric clutch purse, an apron, a simple dress, etc. Alex and I are still so excited and to be entirely honest I'm getting antsy to get to work on this project (that's why I need the mini projects-- they also help build my sewing skills so I can be better prepared for the big project when the time comes). 
A book that I've been suggested for cosplaying is Fast Fit: Easy Alterations For Every Figure. I tried the library but no luck. That's okay, there seems to be some other good ones I could borrow. I went ahead and bought the Fast Fit on Barnes&Noble for $14 (free shipping if you're a member). So I can let you know how that one helps when it gets here.
Lots of waiting and learning but it's good to have this time so I can have a good end product from months of practice and adjustment.
Tomorrow I have the gym, selling Alex's old Yugioh cards to a kid on campus, and then I'm spending time with Kaitlin.
I haven't been getting much homework done because the cosplay/sewing research interests me so much that little else stimulates my attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd enjoy hearing your thoughts.