Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Wake Me Up So We Can Dream


After constantly dosing off on the car ride to bring Kaitlin home, I crashed very hard when I got home. Thinking about last night, my mind wanders to sleep overs in the past. It's been years since I've slept over someone else's house (other than Alex's but we all know that's an entirely different situation). Now that I'm 22 it's odd to think that it may not even be an option again until Alex and I have our own house. I've had roommates and will continue to have roommates, that's for sure but sleepovers... ah, the magic of having your best friend over, watching movies, painting nails, eating popcorn and a ton of Snickers minis. During such situations as these it's perfectly acceptable to pass out (as long as it's after midnight). But when there is no where for your guest to sleep, you gotta stay up and make sure they get home okay-- with which I am entirely okay with. It's just frustrating to be falling asleep on your best friend when you're trying to spend time with them. I try so hard to stay up and attentive but I'm worried I miss something. I know if it's important I'll be told again when I'm more lucid, or if it's really important that I'll be shaken awake.
It'd really be nice to have another sleepover but it's not that same when your other half is present. You're supposed to be able to swoon and complain about your other half, then miss them and give them lots of love when you see them again once the sleepover is, well, over. Like I said, it'll probably be when I have my own place or when I'm visiting a friend out of town.

I am not without some kind of sleepover though. There are nights with Alex in our apartment when they feel very much like sleepovers-- much more intimate but still with the attributes that make a sleepover what it is. Some nights we will watch shows, eat cookies, giggle with and tickle each other. Some nights we will stay up until 2 AM just talking and snuggling or playing cards. I sounds really cheesy but Alex isn't just my life partner, he's my best friend (which is an attribute of life partner but for the sake of cheesiness just roll with it). I never thought I'd end up so lucky as to have both love and friendship in one. He's not one of the girls but he's certainly the companion on need to keep me on my toes, my head on straight, and my heart full.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd enjoy hearing your thoughts.